Counseling Splash Image

Counseling and Testing FAQ

What is counseling?

Counseling is a way to help people as they face difficult life transitions and circumstances or painful emotions.

Do I need to have a mental illness to see a counselor?

No. Anyone needing to talk about an issue causing concern or distress is welcome to see a counselor.

What kinds of services does the counseling center provide?

The counseling center provides one-hour sessions with a professional counselor over issues or concerns including anxiety, depression, loneliness, grief or loss, eating disorders, alcohol or drug abuse, rape or trauma, relational issues, anger management, or any other issues needing to be addressed.  

What will my counseling cost?

There is no cost for counseling services.

Who is eligible to use the counseling center?

Current UMHB students are eligible to use the counseling center.

How long will the appointment take?

Appointments typically last 50-60 minutes.

What are the hours for the counseling center?

The counseling center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00am- 5:00pm (4:00pm during summer sessions).

Where is the counseling center located?

The counseling center is located on the third floor of the Mabee Student Center in Suite 310.

How long will I have to wait for a first appointment?

First appointments are usually scheduled within a week of the initial request.

Are there time limits as to how long I can meet with my counselor?

Students usually meet counselors for 6-8 sessions, some more or less.

What about confidentiality in counseling?

All sessions are held in confidentiality. Exceptions to this are cases when the person is deemed harmful to self or others, incapable of caring for themselves, or cases of abuse.

Will my sessions go on my official student record?


What will happen in my first appointment?

At your first appointment you will complete an intake form before you meet with your counselor. This form has basic information about you. Once you meet with your counselor, he or she will try to get to know you, the reason you’re seeking counseling and what you are looking to get out of your counseling experience.

Why do I have to complete the intake form at my first appointment?

This form has information about counseling that is important for you to know and also gives information that is important for your counselor to have.

What if someone just needs information about a referral?

Referral information can be given upon request from the front desk.

If I’m worried about someone other than myself, what should I do?

Please notify the front desk and proper actions will be taken to assist the person.

What if I feel that I am not a good match or I’m not comfortable with my counselor?

You may notify the front desk and request a change of counselor.

Do you have crisis counseling?

Yes, crisis counseling is available. If necessary, students can walk in or call to request special crisis counseling.

Can someone request a particular counselor?

Sure! Pending the counselor’s availability.

Can someone come in to talk about someone else (friend, roommate, family, etc.) that they are worried about?

Absolutely. Counseling of this nature is helpful in receiving techniques to help these other people and gain skills in approaching and speaking with them.

Can someone receive counseling by email, IM, Facebook, etc. ?


Where can someone get help with study skills like note-taking or doing better on exams?

The counselors will meet with you to assess your needs and possibly refer you to other campus resources.

Where can someone ask health-related questions or get help for medical problems?

You may call the Health Center at 254-295-4623 or visit the office in Mabee (3rd floor).

Which office can help with disability questions or requests for accommodations? 

The Counseling and Testing Center can assist with this. Please call at 254-295-4696.

Can faculty and staff receive counseling from the counseling center?

No. Faculty and staff in need of assistance should contact Human Resources at 254-295-4527 and request contact information for the Employee Assistance Program.

Counseling, Testing and Health Services
The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
900 College Street, Belton, TX 76513
Phone: (254) 295-4696