Accommodation & Student Assistance Program
Reasonable accommodations can be arranged enabling students with disabilities who are otherwise qualified to participate in and benefit from all university educational programs and activities.
The university representative responsible for reviewing official documentation of student disabilities and facilitating corresponding accommodation requests is the Director of Counseling, Testing and Health Services. Students desiring accommodations for a disabling condition are responsible for providing acceptable documentation to this individual. Acceptable documentation must have been produced by a licensed professional qualified to make the respective diagnosis and must usually be dated within the last three years. Any documentation submitted to the University for consideration must be provided in a timely manner prior to the period of stated need.
Services will be evaluated and arranged on a case-by-case basis. Upon receiving all required official documentation and completing an initial student interview, the Director of Counseling, Testing and Health Services will work cooperatively with the student to provide accommodations which effectively meet the student's needs.
Students with disabilities must meet UMHB admissions requirements and be otherwise qualified to be admitted. Following acceptance of admission, students seeking services are encouraged to contact the UMHB Counseling and Testing Center four weeks prior to the semester in which the student desires to attend University classes/activities.
Students desiring disability services must:
- Apply and be accepted to the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
- Submit request for disability accommodations and supporting official documentation.
- Acceptable documentation must have been produced by a licensed professional qualified to diagnose the condition(s).
- Upon approval of documentation, attend an initial interview with the Director of Counseling, Testing and Health Services to discuss needs and register for services.
- Attend follow-up interviews to review letter of accommodation stating provisions or services.
UMHB will provide effective, reasonable accommodation(s) so long as the accommodation(s) do not pose an undue hardship on the university or cause the university to substantially alter its academic programs.
Accommodation(s) may be provided once all application requirements are fulfilled. When these requirements have been met, the Counseling and Testing Center will provide a Letter of Accommodation describing those accommodations that the university is willing to offer the student. Upon completion, the student and the Director of Counseling, Testing and Health Services will jointly review the letter of accommodation. Once the accommodations have been approved, the student will be referred to the appropriate faculty/staff offices for the provision of services that are considered effective and reasonable.
Documentation on file for the applicant must:
- have been produced by a licensed professional qualified to diagnose the condition(s), (this may include a licensed psychiatrist, psychologist, physician, professional counselor, social worker, educational psychologist or equivalent approved by the university)
- be typed or printed on official letterhead and be signed by an evaluator qualified to make the diagnosis (include information about license or certification and area of specialization)
- clearly state the diagnosed disability or disabilities
- describe the functional limitations resulting from the disability or disabilities
- be current - within the last three years
- include complete educational, developmental and medical history relevant to the disability for which accommodations are being requested.
- include a list of all test instruments used in the evaluation report and relevant subtest scores used to document the stated disability; all test instruments must have adult norms (for physical or sensory disabilities of a permanent or unchanging nature; a list of all test instruments is not required)
- describe the specific accommodation(s) requested
- adequately support each requested accommodation
*ARD Reports and IEPs from High School will not be accepted.
Ways to provide official documentation:
- Submit online: Disability Accommodation Request Form
- Bring it to the Counseling, Testing & Health Services office in the Mabee Student Success Center, 3rd floor
- fax to Disability Support Services at 254-295-4196
Nate Williams, MA, LPC
Director of Counseling, Testing & Health Services
Accommodation & Student Assistance Program
Campus Location: Mabee Student Success Center, 3rd floor
Office: (254) 295-4696
900 College Street
UMHB Station Box 8437
Belton, TX 76513-2599