Policies of the CLEP Exam
Testing Credit is granted according to the specifications on this page.
- Grades are not awarded for passing examination scores and therefore are not utilized in calculating grade point average.
- Credits earned via the credit by examination process apply to course equivalencies as recorded on this page. Refer to the UMHB catalog for degree requirements.
- Credit earned and placed on the student's UMHB academic record may or may not be accepted at other colleges or universities.
- It is the student's responsibility to ensure that his/her test results and data are in compliance with UMHB policies for credit by examination.
- Credit by examination may be used to satisfy prerequisites for advanced courses as approved by academic departments.
- No more than one-fourth of the total credit hours required for a degree may be earned through credit by examination.
- Non-passing scores on credit by examination attempts will not be recorded on the student's academic record.
- Credit by examination earned elsewhere, besides UMHB, will be accepted only if the scores satisfy UMHB requirements as stated on this page (official transcripts from the testing corporation/agency/institution must be requested by the student and sent directly to the office of the Registrar).
- No student may receive credit under credit by examination for any course in which they are currently enrolled, or for any course which they have previously failed.
- If the student takes a course for which credit was granted through credit by examination, credit earned by examination is automatically forfeited.
- In attempting credit by examination, students may not receive credit for two forms of credit by examination for the same course requirement (only one passing credit by examination result will be accepted).
- Credit by examination will not be granted in a lower level course if credit has been given by any means for a more advanced course. Exceptions to this policy are foreign language examinations. Further exceptions must be approved by respective department chairpersons.
- A maximum of 6 (six) credit by examination hours are allowable toward satisfying English requirements (any exceptions to this requirement must be approved through the department chairperson).
- While credit is granted through credit by examination toward UMHB requirements, it is the student's responsibility to ensure the transferability of any credit by examination outside of UMHB.
- It is the student's responsibility to take any credit by examination exams in a timely manner if exam results will in any way effect class scheduling, graduation, or any other deadline.
- If a student wishes to retake an examination at UMHB, he/she must wait until a period of time has elapsed as dictated by each test's specified policies or the respective academic department's policies.
- It is the student's responsibility to list UMHB as the recipient of all official scores from credit by examination to include supplementary score reports.
- It is the student's responsibility to change any class schedule conflicts that result from credit being granted by examination for a course in which the student is already registered.
- Persons with disabilities are responsible for contacting the Director of Counseling & Testing prior to registration for any form of credit by examination to request arrangements to test under conditions that meet their special requirements.
Credit transcription fees are assessed by the Registrar and paid in the Cashier's Office. For current fee information, please call the Office of the Registrar at (254) 295-4509.
|Credit By Exam Chart||83.71 KB|
|CLEP - Advance with Spanish (pdf)||1.53 MB|
|CLEP - Information for Candidates (pdf)||1.17 MB|
|CLEP - Brochure (pdf)||961.99 KB|
|CLEP - Business Exams (pdf)||994.53 KB|
|CLEP for Veterans (pdf)||686.82 KB|
|CLEP for Military Personnel (pdf)||409.15 KB|
|UMHB Policies of the Testing Program (pdf)||204.34 KB|
|UMHB Test Descriptions (pdf)||109.8 KB|